Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:30:15 -0400

On Apr 14, 2010, at 9:20 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:

> a browser, we only wants something that works, and we can rely on Safari
> being on a Darwin as much as we can rely on sendmail being on a Linux
> system.

You cannot rely on Safari being the correct browser on Darwin.  You definitely
don't want to use it to display HTTP material.

You don't want to call Safari with a mailto URL.  That's slow, because it
starts up Safari.

The current solution goes through "open", which starts the correct mail client
without going through a web browser.
On Aquamacs I'm even using the correct Cocoa function to handle URLs rather
than calling open to handle a different special case.  But "open" is as correct
as any of the solutions circulated.

If you want to force "open" over user's settings for the browser, then that
might be more stable, but in your case it would still lead back to Emacs if
everything is set up right.