Re: Guile in Emacs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:40:35 -0600

John> Lastly, I'm not at all convinced Emacs Lisp needs multithreading.
John> I would prefer a coarser model of process separation to allow
John> things like Gnus to run in tandem with other tasks.

I did consider this model.  I even floated the idea on this list, though
as I recall nobody replied.

One thing worth noting is that you can experiment with this approach
right now.  I haven't tried but I think you can do it purely in elisp
with no emacs changes required.

Give it a try.  If it is a better model, well, great, let's use it.

John> I was just considering yesterday the truly scary-to-debug
John> scenarios that come up when you realize dynamic variables can
John> change mid-form

That is true, but due to the nature of actually existing Emacs code I
don't think it will be a problem in practice.

Also: (1) this cannot happen with let-bound variables, only globals; and
(2) this can already happen today via process filters (in limited
scenarios, to be sure -- but the threading is cooperative, so the same
applies).

Tom