Re: Guile in Emacs

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:02:50 -0400

On Apr 14, 2010, at 14:29, Tom Tromey wrote:
> FWIW, there was once an elisp JIT compiler.

> It was rejected:

Interesting!  I'd wondered if there'd be anything to gain from doing that, but
stopped short of actually trying it myself.  I'm glad to see someone else has
tried it, even if the conclusion from the experiment was that it wasn't worth
folding in.  Actually, I'd been thinking about converting byte-code to C,
changing stack slots to register variables, that sort of thing, and turning
GCC's optimizer loose on it, but I doubt it'd perform all that much better than
the JIT version if the primitives were dominating.

Thanks for the links!

Ken