Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url

From: christian.lynbech
Subject: Re: mailclient-send-it usage of browse-url
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:52:02 +0200

>>>>> "Stephen" == Stephen J Turnbull <address@hidden> writes:

Stephen> There's a standard (freedesktop.org, IIRC) wadget called xdg-open,
Stephen> which may do the right thing.  If not, an RFE would be in order, I
Stephen> think.

Can you really rely on the freedesktop.org standards being ubiquitously
available on Linux systems? It probably is ok for people running Gnome
or KDE but my hunch is that although the desktop systems are on the
rise, it still doesn't have the same wide reaching aboundance as, say,
sendmail or X11.

I do not know what a wadget is but it does not seem right to rely on
things that somebody (the user or a distribution) needs to install on
the system to be available unless we can be really sure that it really
is abundant. It would of course be good to utilise it if present but
that is another matter.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)