Re: Guile in Emacs

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 01:02:47 +0200

* Richard Stallman [2010-04-15 20:47+0200] writes:

>     The Elisp manual would not need to document things that are
>     vanilla Common Lisp (i.e. respect the CL standard). It could
>     simply cross-reference the relevant CL doc.
>
> Do we have a good quality free Common Lisp manual?

The Tex sources of the "draft" of the ANSI standard are available on the
net[1].  I'm pretty sure that's the same text as the actual standard.
Bill Schelter used that to create an info version for GCL[2] and that is
also in the Debian package gclcvs-doc.  Independently, Jesper Harder
wrote some ELisp code[3] to convert the Tex code to texinfo which tries
to preserve more of the font information and cross references.

The legal status of the Tex sources seems a bit messy, though.
Apparently the intention of the involved parties was to put them into
Public Domain but somehow failed to make that formally correct[4].

Helmut

[1]
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/doc/standard/ansi/0.html
[2] ftp://ftp.ma.utexas.edu/pub/gcl/gcl-info+texi.tgz
[3] http://www.phys.au.dk/~harder/dpans.html
[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/06/msg00492.html