Re: Side windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Side windows
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:33:23 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 02:46:17 +0300
>
> > The proposed bitmap is very small (thin), AFAIU, so I'm not sure the
> > mess would be quite as big as you seem to fear.  Overlay arrows are on
> > the left fringe, so they do not contribute to the mess at all.  We
> > could enlarge the right fringe (in compilation-mode) to make the mess
> > even smaller.
>
> This practically means multi-column fringes.

No, it doesn't.  I wasn't suggesting to have more than one bitmap on
the fringe at the same place (I think this is impossible with today's
code).  I was just saying that the visual appearance would not be as
bad as it may sound.

> Maybe the same suggests implementing the multi-line header line
> instead of multiple header lines or multiple header windows.

I don't think so.  The current display engine does not support a
notion of glyph rows that are more than one glyph tall.  And since
each glyph comes from some font, you cannot have two of them together,
unless you either (a) craft a font with combination of 2 characters in
it, or (b) make some composition rules to compose them into a single
glyph.