Re: [patch] SQL enhancements

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [patch] SQL enhancements
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 23:42:05 +0300

> Since my employer has decided that they no longer need my services,
> I've got time to dedicate to Emacs!

I haven't looked at your patch yet, but could you answer
if you fixed annoyances that I noticed in the current SQL mode:

1. `sql-product' is not marked as a safe local variable.

2. I see no way to start SQL interactive mode without entering its
login parameters (user, password, database, server) in the minibuffer.
I'd like to create a command that let-binds parameters:

  (let ((sql-database "database.sqlite"))
    (sql-sqlite))

but it still asks for the database name (with the correct default value).
I mean it's right to ask this by default, but there should be a way
to skip confirmation of already defined parameters.

3. And this is not directly related to SQL mode but important:

A colleague of mine has switched from Emacs to other editors
because in SQL mode Emacs doesn't have horizontal scroll bars!

Unlike other modes, SQL mode produces the wide output where
it's necessary to easily scroll tabular data horizontally.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/