Re: Guile in Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:55:33 -0400

    >     The Tex sources of the "draft" of the ANSI standard are available on
the
    >     net[1].
    >
    > What license do they carry?

    Apparently none.  The only paragraph containing the word "copyright" is
    this:

      Special thanks to Guy L. Steele Jr. and Digital Press for producing
{\CLtL},
      and for relaxing copyright restrictions enough to make it possible for
that
      document's text to provide an early basis of this work.

Unless they state a license elsewhere, they are not free.

        - All these organizations agreed that they would place the work (to
      which they held copyright since they were paying Symbolics to do it
      as a work for hire) into the public domain. Except some lawyer
      pointed out that you can't really affirmatively put something in the
      public domain.

You can in the US, according to my lawyers.

                     So they did something--not clear what--to assert their
      copyright but to allow anyone to use the draft they were paying to
      have produced for any purpose whatsoever.

That would be tantamout to granting a license.
If we can find the statement they made, it might be adequate.

I will ask GLS if he can do anything about this.  However, unless you
hear about something that changes the situation, you may as well give
up on that text.