Re: Emacs's handling of line numbers [from bug#5042]

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs's handling of line numbers [from bug#5042]
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:03:43 +0200

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 18:41, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> My post replied not to your proposal but to Juri's statement

I know. And Juri was commenting on mine.

> He said that users should not be able to use a command to widen or narrow the
> buffer outside of the current node.

Not exactly. He said "user commands (with the prefix map `C-x n')". I
don't know whether he was against defining other user commands, menu
options or other ways to do that. I would be *for* defining them. Just
not as general user commands.

> IMO Juri did, by saying that user narrowing and widening commands should not
> go
> beyond the current Info node.

Again, user commands in the C-x n prefix map. And I would agree with
that. Even if it is sometimes (how often?) useful to be able to widen
the restriction in an Info buffer, that restriction is a programming
convenience for Info-mode (that it uses narrowing is an implementation
detail), so Info-mode should offer the way to deactivate it.

    Juanma