Re: telepathy

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: telepathy
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:56:46 +0200

Zajcev Evgeny <address@hidden> writes:

> As to Emacs, I'm very sure that model when emacs does use external
> programs and wraps them into lisp level functionality is great!, but
> in some circumstances that is not enough flexible, sometimes you need
> direct access to API.  Each time implementing C-to-lisp wrappers for
> different APIs is not that great as having solid FFI implementation,
> when you can write such wrappers entirely in lisp.

That's true when you have FFI implemented in a compatible way in SXEmacs
and GNU Emacs. For the time being, using a D-Bus API is already possible
in both Emacsen (given, that I finish my tasks on SXEmacs).

> So Emacsen C code for D-Bus, ImageMagick, etc is inferior to 100% pure
> lisp (without performance impact!) implementation in SXEmacs using
> FFI.

Yes, that would ease access to such libraries. If FFI would be available
in GNU Emacs, one could think about rewriting those libraries in Lisp.

> thanks

Best regards, Michael.