Re: Windows Emacs and "VirtualStore"

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Windows Emacs and "VirtualStore"
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:54:46 -0700

On Apr 19, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Lewis Perin wrote:

[..]

When I said the augmented manifest was *part* of the solution, I meant
that an ideal solution would allow the user to escalate privilege by
typing an admin password for an attempt to rewrite a file when the
first write failed.  I've no idea if this would be as simple as it
sounds.  Is there someone reading this who's in a position to comment?

Nice work.

I have no first-hand knowledge, but I have seen some complaints about
problems with such a system on the forum for a computer game that I
played recently.  The upshot was basically ``the escalation system is very
finicky'' -- and came with advice to avoid it if possible.  That was perhaps
a month ago.

Unless someone can find some first-hand evidence, I think we're much better
off (practically speaking) using something like your manifest, rather than
waiting for an escalation system to be added to Emacs.  It does strike me that
this must be a relatively common problem, so perhaps some other open or free
software product will have some useful experience?

*Chad