Re: The Gnus repository is switching to Git as of 2010-04-19

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The Gnus repository is switching to Git as of 2010-04-19
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:11:13 -0400

>> I know that's how it works.  But I don't know what [git's
>> automatic-detection-implementation of copy/rename] means in terms of
>> the behavior when merging changes, including addition/removal of files.
>> IIUC it understands movement of files, but does it understand movement
>> of directories (e.g. if Gnus adds a new file lisp/gnus-new.el, will it
>> appear in Emacs as lisp/gnus/gnus-new.el or lisp/gnu-new.el?; similarly
>> if Emacs adds a new file lisp/new.el will it appear in Gnus as
>> lisp/new.el?).
> Bazaar can't handle that and won't anytime soon as a standard feature

I think your "that" is not what I was talking about, because I know for
a fact it works.  What I'm talking about is to just move directories
around in a branch: no need for nested trees or any such thing, no
restriction to "same layout" either.

>> It should be just as easy for a branch as for the trunk.
> Maybe.  I worry about ghost revisions appearing when you do a git->bzr
> sync, and that's where they are most likely since git users branch
> with abandon then abandon the branches, while it's no fun to try to
> work with Bazaar that way.  Note that ghost revisions causes nasty
> bugs in bzr as recently as a few weeks ago.

Ghost revisions are a problem for Bzr implementers, not users.

        Stefan