Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:43:30 +0300

>>   emacs --tabs file1 file2 file3
>>
>> will open each file in a new tab.
>
> That should be the default in a tab-capable Emacs when more than one
> file is specified.

This seems better than splitting the window and displaying the
buffer list, as it currently does.  Tabs also have another
advantage: the startup screen is displayed in a separate tab,
so it does not interfere with editing input files.

But what if some users might prefer the old behavior?
Maybe to add a command line argument `--no-tabs'?

>>   emacsclient --create-tab
>>
>> creates a new tab on the current Emacs frame.
>
> Again, I don't see a necessity for a new option.  If Emacs is configured
> to open a new frame, all given files should appear in tabs of this
> frame.  If not, all given files should appear in tabs in the existing
> selected frame, in front of existing tabs.

Like Forefox having command line arguments `new-tab' and `new-window',
I think Emacs should allow the user to choose whether to display the
file in the selected window, a new frame or a new tab.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/