Re: emacs-23.1.96: problem on GNU/Linux AMD64 (Red Hat 4.8)

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: emacs-23.1.96: problem on GNU/Linux AMD64 (Red Hat 4.8)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:10:28 +0200

Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
From recent mail exchanges with "Jan D." <address@hidden>:

Did you try these options to configure:

X features:
   --x-includes=DIR    X include files are in DIR
   --x-libraries=DIR   X library files are in DIR

Red Hat puts the X11 libraries and header files in standard places
that configure knows about, so those options are not needed.

Didn't you say libraries where in lib64?   That is not a standard place.
Anyway, this is a autconf problem.

What is really happening is UNFORTUNATE VERSION DEPENDENCE on the GIF,
JPEG, PNG, and TIFF libraries.  I find it unwise that emacs-23.x is
expecting recent versions of these libraries, instead of venerable
stable ones that have been around for a decade or more.

AFAIK, there has been many bug fixes and security fixes for those libraries over the years. You can compile without them or install newer ones. They are free software so it is not a big deal. We don't support 10 year old Gtk+ for that matter.

        Jan D.