RE: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:53:37 -0700

> From: Juri Linkov
> I also implemented C functions to save window configurations
> in Lisp expressions that could be used later to save tabs
> in the desktop file.  For example,
>
> (current-window-configuration-to-sexp)
> =>
> (window-configuration
>  (frame-cols . 80)
>  (frame-lines . 41)
>  (frame-menu-bar-lines . 1)
>  (frame-tool-bar-lines . 4)
>  (frame-tab-bar-lines . 4)

Is the intention to be able to save and restore all current window & frame
configurations?

That is what I would like to see, to be able to save and restore an Emacs state
as completely as possible wrt frames and windows.

[That would of course mean saving all frame parameters that can be restored. I
would even like to see the ability for users to hook into such a feature, so
that user-defined frame parameters could be handled also. E.g. for a
user-defined frame parameter `foo', a user could specify how it can be saved and
restored, so that frame-config saving & restoring would then DTRT wrt it.]

Lennart made a stab at saving/restoring frame and window configs, but his code
didn't work when I tested it (there were apparently some dependencies on his
EmacsW32 etc.). Perhaps you and he could put together something general. It
seems like you're both close.

I would like to see the ability to save & restore each of the following
independently, in such a way that you could use them separately or together (to
save and restore various combinations): desktops, window configs, frame configs.

IOW, we should not couple any of them in such a way that you could no longer
save only a desktop (without also saving frame configs) or only the current
frame & window configs, etc.  E.g., a saved desktop should not necessarily
include frame and window configs, but you should also be able to save all at
once.