Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Gtk tabs in emacs, new branch
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:17:09 +0300

>> Yes, I've implemented the task to save and restore frame and
>> window configurations in the desktop file.
>
> Is this feature part of the 23-1-91 pretest or otherwise intended for 23.2? If
> so, is it documented? If it's in the pretest I would like to try it.

This feature is part of the x-tabs branch.

> Can users save such frame & window configs independently of desktops - and
> vice
> versa? Can they save individual frame/window configs as well as all configs
> together?

If you want to save frame and window configurations independently of desktops,
you can easily do this using the same functions that desktop.el now uses.

> A desktop saves some variables, buffers, etc. Users should be able to save
> just
> frame/window state or just the vars+bufs state, as well as being able to save
> everything together at once.

There is a new variable `desktop-save-frame-configuration' that defines
whether to save frame and window configurations to the desktop.
It is nil by default.

> Also, desktop.el has a big limitation (which I would like to see removed): it
> assumes only one desktop file per directory.

It's a separate task to implement named desktops.

I imagine that named desktops should be an object above frames
in the hierarchy of screen objects:

 - desktop
  - frame
   - tab
    - window configuration
     - window

So switching desktops could be like switching frames:

  M-x select-desktop-by-name RET

will read a desktop name, delete old frames by calling `desktop-clear',
and create a new desktop by calling `desktop-read' with the selected name.

> Can users hook into this to handle user-defined frame parameters also?
> The feature should be open and not limited to a predefined set
> of parameters.

Yes, there is a new variable `desktop-frame-parameters-to-save'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/