Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Subject: Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:45:29 +0000

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 15:27, Jason Earl <address@hidden> wrote:

>>     Then what is necessary to do to make Git a GNU package?
>>
>> Agreeing to follow our practices on a lot of issues.  It is most
>> unlikely that Torvalds would agree.
>
> Does it really matter that much?  I am certain that their are other
> parts of the GNU system (like, perhaps, TeX), where the hackers in
> question don't follow GNU policies.  In fact, Bazaar doesn't completely
> follow GNU policies (no texinfo documentation, and no real plans to
> generate it either).

Git would never agree to be under the GNU umbrella.

> It is likely that I am taking this too personally, but if this is an
> example of how the greater GNU community supports a fellow GNU project
> then I am somewhat at a loss as to why anyone would want their program
> to be taken under the GNU aegis.  It is fairly clear that GNU support
> for Bazaar is skin deep at best.
>
> Apparently is it completely on-topic on this GNU-hosted mailing list to
> disparage Bazaar, and worse, to actively discuss how to work around
> using the official Bazaar repository.  Savannah has excellent support
> for git, but very poor support for Bazaar, and, like the lack of Bazaar
> documentation in texinfo, that is also apparently unlikely to change in
> the near future.  Instead of actively encouraging other GNU and
> Emacs-related projects to use Bazaar the Emacs project is discouraging
> Bazaar use.  The Gnus switch to git is a prime example of this effect.

Some developers actively worked around CVS when the Emacs was in that
system. People are interested in hacking Emacs using the tools they're
familiar with.

I don't think you need to take it personally, people just like to work
with their regular tools. DVCS systems make it easy to use the system
you want.