Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Using Git to manage your Emacs changes
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:33:41 -0400

   Bazaar has this marked as a bug (wishlist), but they are
   essentially waiting for someone to come up with a way to make
   texinfo documentation from their existing rst documentation.  In
   fact, it could easily be argued that they are moving farther away
   from texinfo as they have moved from simply requiring docutils to
   requiring the more complicated sphinx documentation build system.

That is a pitty.

   My question, and I ask this as a person whose one small
   contribution to GNU is that I helped (a bit) with the conversion of
   the Emacs repo from CVS to bzr, is why pretend that Bazaar is part
   of the GNU project when the GNU developers (and systems
   administrators) seem to overwhelmingly prefer git?  Worse, they are
   actively trying to undermine Bazaar, including long discussions on
   how to circumvent Bazaar on this very list.

There is nothing to pretend, bazaar is part of the GNU project,
whether people like it or not.  Alot of freedom is left up to the
maintainers as to how they maintain their projects; and as such the
emacs maintainers decided to on bazaar.  Take Guile as a counter
example, GDB uses Python instead of Guile, does this make GDB any less
part of the GNU project? Ofcourse not.

Complaining about the topic is not going to solve anything.  If
savannah doesn't support the prefered method for bazaar someone should
step up and fix the issue, Sylvain Beucler is just about the only
person working on Savannah, and he needs help.