Re: guile and emacs and elisp, oh my!

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: guile and emacs and elisp, oh my!
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:54:39 -0400

    Sure, Schemers ought to be encouraged to write
    "(null? x)" rather than "(eq? x '())" but ...
    what about "(eq? x y)"?

My original plan was to have two execution modes,
a Lisp mode in which () and Scheme's false object are equal,
and a Scheme mode in which they were not equal.
I had a plan for nil too, but I don't remember what it was.

    And: since Emacs lisp and Guile can't agree about
    equality (whichever flavor) - how do I write a
    hash table library useful to both environments?

It should hash all the kinds of nil the same.
Then, as regards the comparison, it can depend on
the execution mode as inherited from the caller.