Re: might a bug in ido-mode

From: zwz
Subject: Re: might a bug in ido-mode
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:27:24 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: zwz <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 20:57:42 +0800
>>
>> I found a problem that crashes emacs.
>> The problem seems a little random, but I produced it twice by:
>>
>> 1. start the emacs: emacs -q
>> 2. eval the elisp code below in the scratch buffer:
>>
>> (setq ido-save-directory-list-file "~/.emacs.d/.ido.last"
>>       ido-create-new-buffer 'always
>>       ido-enable-flex-matching t
>>       ido-enable-tramp-completion t)
>> (ido-mode t)
>>
>> 3. C-x C-f, and input a file name like "main.c".
>>    Wait a second, while the the ido-mode is looking for "main.c", hit
>>    the keys C-j (if no problem, then a buffer "main.c" is created)
>> 4. do 3 again, with the same file name in the same directory.
>>    When you hit C-j during the ido-mode's searching, emacs crashes!
>>    (maybe you have to try more times to get the problem)
>
> FWIW, I cannot reproduce this on my machine.
>
> Can you run Emacs under GDB and when it crashes, show the backtrace?

Now, I start emacs by: gdb --args emacs -q
and input "r" to run it

Gdb console says:
starting program: d:\emacs\bin\emacs.exe -q
[new thread 5860.0x1270]
[new thread 5860.0xa80]
[new thread 5860.0x69c]
[new thread 5860.0x1134]

and then I tried the step 3 and 4 many times with various file names
(e.g. main.c, test.c, etc.). Here the most important thing is that you
should try to hit C-j when the ido-mode is searching. The timing is the
key to catch the bug.

the gdb console says:
gdb: unknown target exception 0xc0000029 at 0x77d10754
program received signal ?, unknown signal.
[switch to thread 5860.0xa80]
0x77d10754 in ntdll!EtwpNotificationThread()
    from C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll
(gdb) warning: Invalid parameter passed to C runtime function. (9 times)

And after I input "c" to continue the program, emacs crashes, with
the gdb console saying:
program exited with code 030000000051