Re: Window configurations

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:55:01 -0700 (PDT)

> Users "define" window configurations by splitting and deleting windows.
> They have no idea of the underlying window tree.

I'm not sure that's right.  While users certainly don't know about
`frame-root-window' windows, the tree is otherwise readily apparent
(since, for instance, resizing or deleting a window distinguishes

+-+-+     +-+-+
|A|B|     |A|B|
+-|-+ and +---+
|C|D|     |C|D|
+-+-+     +-+-+

in an immediately obvious fashion).  Why not store a configuration as a
(resolution-independent) tree:

subtree = window | tree ;
tree = "(", horiz, subtree, split, { split }, ")" ;
split = fraction, subtree ;
horiz = nil | t ;            (* t for C-x 3 *)
fraction = ? float ? ;
window = ? ... ? ;           (* the hard part *)

very much like (window-tree)?

Davis

shipping.