RE: dropped 4th arg from all-completions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: dropped 4th arg from all-completions
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:27:09 -0700

> > I object to Emacs 23.2 dropping the 4th arg from `all-completions'.
>
> My 23.2 code shows all-completions accepts 4 args.
> Heck, even the 24 branch still accepts 4 args.

Your "acceptance" is hollow - bad faith. Emacs does not raise an error, but it
does not respect the arg. You have broken any code that uses a non-nil 4th arg.
And the doc shows only 3 args, and the byte compiler warns about #4.

> > I do not understand why the feature of ignoring candidates
> > that start with a space was removed.
>
> It doesn't have its place in `all-completions' (which is an internal
> function, and hence not directly related to any UI feature).

I disagree that it is an internal function.

> > FWIW, I use this 4th arg.  I even have a user option and a
> > minibuffer toggle key that lets users control the removal
> > of such candidates. If you don't want to use the feature,
> > that's one thing, but why remove it from Emacs?
>
> You can get the same result by changing the completion table
> instead, or by changing the `predicate'.  These approaches
> also have the advantage of being a lot more flexible.

My code works with multiple versions of Emacs. There is no reason that
`all-completions' cannot continue to support this argument. It has worked and
been used by Emacs users since Day One.

No proposal for the change. *No reason* given. No discussion.
When will you change the name from Emacs to Monnier?