Re: Window configurations

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 07:15:18 -0700 (PDT)

> A window-tree format is good for androids.  But for human beings it is
> too complicated.  Please see how ECB defines window configurations as
> a plain list of function calls because it is more simple and convenient
> for human users:
>
>   (ecb-set-directories-buffer)
>   (ecb-split-ver 0.3)
>   (ecb-set-sources-buffer)
>   (ecb-split-ver 0.5)
>   (ecb-set-methods-buffer)
>   (select-window (previous-window))
>   (ecb-split-hor 0.5)
>   (ecb-set-history-buffer)

Perhaps then I am an android.  I look at that code and it takes me quite a
while to decide that the window-tree it produces (as I defined it) is (I
think)

...assuming that ecb-split-{ver,hor} is just C-x {2,3} with the divide
placed the argument fraction of the way {down,right} the original window.
On the other hand I find interpreting the window-tree easy because I can
just read it rather than tracing through it.

Davis

shipping.