Re: Embedding Emacs in other apps

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Embedding Emacs in other apps
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:45:45 +0200

Tassilo Horn skrev 2010-04-27 18.00:

But this --parent-id option is only available to emacs, not emacsclient.
Is that intended or technically not feasible otherwise?  My emacs needs
about 20 seconds to start, but I always have a server instance in the
background.  Clearly, I wouldn't want to wait 20 secs to start editing
some textfield, but simply embed a new frame...

It should be possible to pass it along to an emacs daemon. Parent id is just another frame parameter, that --parent-id sets in initial-frame-alist.
Nobody saw the need, or did the code yet, thats all.

The --parent-id option isn't documented in the texinfo docs, btw...

There are some out of date documentation, but its within an @ignore:

@ignore
@item parent-id
@c ??? Not yet working.
The X window number of the window that should be the parent of this one.
Specifying this lets you create an Emacs window inside some other
application's window.  (It is not certain this will be implemented; try
it and see if it works.)
@end ignore

And the other thing: Is there some example code showing how I can embed
emacs in my own application?

I have some Gtk+ examples, it is easy there. But maybe you want straight X examples?

        Jan D.