Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:27:07 +0200

2010/4/29 James Cloos <address@hidden>:

> SM> I'd like to make the DEL part default (i.e. hitting DEL when the
> SM> selection is active deletes the selection),
>
> With the ability to yank it back, or without?
>
> The ability to delete text w/o any way to recover it would be a disaster.
>
> And I haven't been able to deduce the answer to that question from the
> various posts on the various threads which I've read.
>
> If the deleted text /can/ be yanked back, then your proposal is welcome.
>
> (Even though I used the work yank, recovery via (undo) also would do.)

I don't see how it would be a disaster not to be able to yank it back.
You would still be able to kill-region with C-w.

I'm in favor of making DEL delete the selection (*not* killing it).
Not being able to "undo" back text after deleting it would be a
terrible idea, but I'd doubt anyone is suggesting we do that.

--
Deniz Dogan