Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 20:46:07 +0100

Jan Djärv wrote:

Lennart Borgman skrev 2010-05-01 01.22:

1) a frame which is topmost.
2) looks like a tooltip frame
3) can show different things
4) can be hidden
5) can be shown without becoming active
6) never becomes the active window
7) looses it topmost property when switching to another app.
8) regains it when switching back

7 and 8 on X must depend on input focus. If emacs looses input focus it can be considered not active.

I think 7 and 8 might have been groping towards transient-for, actually.

Rather than "topmost" lennart might really be looking for is transient-for (on windows I think called an "owned" window -
Given toplevel windows A and B, B might be transient-for A on x11
and B might be owned-by A on w32.  Then B always appears above
A in the stacking order)