Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 20:58:01 +0200

2010-05-02 16:43, David De La Harpe Golden skrev:

FWIW, on my system, notifications popups via libnotify [1] have close
buttons but they're cosmetic/affordances, clicking on them anywhere
dismisses them. Using libnotify means the desktop environment's uniform
notifications are used. I use XFCE, their appearance and behaviour is
configured via xfce4-notifyd-config, which allows changing graphical
theme, position, timeout and opacity of them. (I found a tip on the arch
linux wiki saying gnome users can edit the registry^Wgconf key
/apps/notification-daemon/ to configure them on GNOME)

Try the following from the shell:

aptitude install libnotify-bin
notify-send "Hello, World" "<b>I am a Fish.</b> On $(date)"

Results shown in the attached screenshot.

On my system, there is no close box, and a click does not dismiss it, but mouse over makes it very transparent. As you said, probably a theme thing.
It times out after a while.

Linking emacs, at least x11/gtk emacs, against libnotify and supporting
a (notify-send ...) or something usable from within emacs would probably
be quite doable. Maybe the elisp api could be wrapped around the other
platforms' native similar facilities on non-x11.

This is a good idea.

        Jan D.