Re: Compositions and bidi display

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Compositions and bidi display
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 11:39:24 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:06:11 +0900
> >
> > In the case of "english HEBREW TEXT text" (lowercases are
> > l2r characters, upppercases are r2l characters),
> > get_next_display_element starts from the first "e" and
> > proceeds to the first " " (stage 1), then jumps to the last
> > "T" and proceeds back to the first "H" (stage 2), then jumps
> > to the last " " and proceeds to the last "t" (stage 3).

> This is only the simplest case, with just 2 embedding levels: the base
> level of the paragraph, and the (higher) level of the embedded R2L
> text.  The general case is much more complex: there could be up to 60
> nested levels, and some of them could begin or end at the same buffer
> position.  bidi.c handles all this complexity by means of a very
> simple algorithm, but that algorithm needs to know a lot about the
> characters traversed so far.  I don't think exposing all these
> internals to xdisp.c is a good idea.

Just exposing (or creating) one function that tells where
the current bidi-run ends is enough.  Is it that difficult?

> > Note that composition_compute_stop_pos just finds a stop
> > position to check, and the actual checking and composing is
> > done by composition_reseat_it which is called by
> > CHAR_COMPOSED_P.

> Right, but the same is true for the bidi iteration: I need only to
> know when to check for composition; the actual composing will be still
> done by composition_reseat_it.  I just cannot assume that I always
> move linearly forward in the buffer.  Therefore, it is not enough to
> have only the next stop position recorded in the iterator.  I need
> more information recorded.  What I'm trying to determine in this
> thread is what needs to be recorded and how to compute what's needed.
> Thanks for helping me.

I don't understand the logic of "Therefore" in the above
paragraph.

> > Isn't it possible to record where the current bidi-run
> > started while you scan a buffer in
> > bidi_get_next_char_visually?

> See above: it's tricky.  The function in bidi.c that looks for the
> beginning and end of a level run relies on almost all the other
> functions in bidi.c, and it does that on the fly.  The level edges are
> not recorded anywhere, except in an internal cache used to speed up
> moving back in the buffer.

Then, what we need is a function that return the value of that cache.

> > > If MAX_AUTO_COMPOSITION_LOOKBACK is not the right number, then how
> > > long can a composition sequence be?
> >
> > It is MAX_COMPOSITION_COMPONENTS (16), but here it's not
> > relevant.

> Why not?  Isn't it true that if none of the 16 characters preceding
> the current position can start a composition sequence, then the
> current position is not inside a composition sequence?

It's true, but how does it contribute to find where to check a
composition next time?

> > > Another idea would be to call composition_compute_stop_pos repeatedly,
> > > starting from the last cmp_it->stop_pos, until we find the last
> > > stop_pos before the current iterator position, then compute the
> > > beginning and end of the composable sequence at that position, and
> > > record it in the iterator.  Then we handle the composition when we
> > > enter the sequence from either end.
> >
> > To move from one composition position to the next, we must
> > actually call autocmp_chars and find where the current
> > composition ends, then start searching for the next
> > composition.  As autocmp_chars calls Lisp and all functions
> > to compose characters, it's so inefficient to call it
> > repeatedly just to find the last one.

> If the buffer or string is full of composed characters, then yes, it
> would be a slowdown.  Especially if the number of ``suspect'' stop
> positions is much larger than the number of actual composition
> sequences.  But what else can be done, given the design of the
> compositions that doesn't let us know the sequence length without
> actually composing the character?

Isn't it faster to call bidi_get_next_char_visually
repeatedly.  At least it doesn't call Lisp.

And, aren't there any possibility in the current bidi code
to provide a function that gives the information I'm asking?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden