Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 22:31:42 +0100

On 03/05/10 10:59, Lennart Borgman wrote:

Yes, but does not that mean that it should start as a topmost window?

[I prefer always-on-top terminologically: It is very easy for a non-w32 person to read (or write) topmost as "start as the instantaneously top window [in the window's current stack layer]", i.e. raised, the equivalent of w32 HWND_TOP, rather than "start as a window in the always-on-top stack layer", the w32 HWND_TOPMOST.]

On the other hand if using Growl (as David De La Harpe Golden
suggested) then you have this capabilities there already I believe.

While adding stacking-layer, override-redirect, disposition/type-hint, transient-for, no-decorations and more as elisp-exposed emacs frame parameters is obviously technically possible on x11 (well, some might only be settable at make-frame time and then read-only), I expect most users on x11 would prefer apps wanting to do bubble notifications use the relevant service, and I thought growl might be a close analogue available on w32/macosx.

IMO the notification popper-upper daemon is a special case that can "get away with" doing certain things rather than an example for emacs to follow, but I did go digging into current x11 practice for the notification daemon's windows - in the interests of full disclosure: gnome-notification-daemon and xfce4-notifyd both use windows of _TYPE_NOTIFICATION [1][2], but the former also makes it an override redirect window [3] and the latter a _STATE_ABOVE window [4] with no decorations (_MOTIF_WM_HINTS).

[1] http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-notifyd/tree/xfce4-notifyd/xfce-notify-window.c#n224 [2] http://git.gnome.org/browse/notification-daemon/tree/src/themes/standard/theme.c#n611 [3] http://git.gnome.org/browse/notification-daemon/tree/src/themes/standard/theme.c#n596 [4] http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-notifyd/tree/xfce4-notifyd/xfce-notify-window.c#n217