Re: Compositions and bidi display

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Compositions and bidi display
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 18:19:30 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > > If the buffer or string is full of composed characters, then yes, it
> > > would be a slowdown.  Especially if the number of ``suspect'' stop
> > > positions is much larger than the number of actual composition
> > > sequences.  But what else can be done, given the design of the
> > > compositions that doesn't let us know the sequence length without
> > > actually composing the character?
> >
> > Isn't it faster to call bidi_get_next_char_visually
> > repeatedly.  At least it doesn't call Lisp.

> I'm confused.  bidi_get_next_char_visually is what we use now to move
> through the buffer, so using it gets me back at the problem I'm trying
> to solve: how to know, at an arbitrary position returned by
> bidi_get_next_char_visually, whether it is inside a composition
> sequence.

It seems that we are discussing based on different
strategies for solving the current problem.

My current plan is not to make bidi_get_next_char_visually aware of
composition, but to make composition codes pay attention to bidi and
take responsibility on setting character positions at composition
boundary.

I'm now modifying my local copy along that line.  As soon as I finish
it, I'll show you the code and ask your comment.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden