Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exit

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exiting for display closed or SIGTERM/HUP.
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 19:45:28 +0300

> Put up a solution that addresses the problems:
>
> *scratch* and *Messages* and more get the wrong default directory.

Yes, it's important that *scratch* and *Messages* should get the
directory where Emacs was started.  That's why I did this change
to set the right directory in the startup screen's buffer:

  2008-02-12  Juri Linkov  <address@hidden>

          * startup.el (fancy-startup-screen, normal-splash-screen):
          Set default-directory to command-line-default-directory.

Now the question is where `command-line-default-directory'
should get its value.  It's docstring says:

  (defvar command-line-default-directory nil
    "Default directory to use for command line arguments.
  This is normally copied from `default-directory' when Emacs starts.")

All this is right and it seems currently there is no problem with
*scratch* and *Messages*, i.e. they get the right directory.

However, a new command line arg --chdir seems unnecessary.  When the
user wants `command-line-default-directory' to be another directory,
then the user can cd to this directory before running Emacs.

If this is necessary for the session management, it's another problem.
There is a special arg --smid that could be used.

> Desktop file isn't loaded.

I think --smid should restore the same desktop file that was saved
in the previous session.  And also restore the old value of
`command-line-default-directory'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/