Re: Emacs 23.1.97 pretest

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.1.97 pretest
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 14:07:31 -0700

Some Japanese characters don't render correctly.  One such example
character is the middle letter in the word game "ゲーム".  Another one
I found is the dot character here between 1 and 2 "1・2".

It is tested on GNU Emacs 23.1.97.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) running on
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600).  This problem is not
new and has been observed for some time.

I first reported this problem for pretest 23.1.94.

C-u C-x = on the above two characters says:

        character: ー (12540, #o30374, #x30fc)
preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
       code point: 0x30FC
           syntax: w    which means: word
         category:
                   .:Base, H:2-byte Hiragana, K:2-byte Katakana, j:Japanese,
|:line breakable
      buffer code: #xE3 #x83 #xBC
        file code: not encodable by coding system iso-latin-1-dos
          display: no font available

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: KATAKANA-HIRAGANA PROLONGED SOUND MARK
  general-category: Lm (Letter, Modifier)

        character: ・ (12539, #o30373, #x30fb)
preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
       code point: 0x30FB
           syntax: _    which means: symbol
         category:
                   .:Base, K:2-byte Katakana, c:Chinese, j:Japanese, |:line
breakable
      buffer code: #xE3 #x83 #xBB
        file code: not encodable by coding system iso-latin-1-dos
          display: no font available

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: KATAKANA MIDDLE DOT
  general-category: Po (Punctuation, Other)

-Tak