Re: PATCH: Fix IDO interaction with uniquify.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix IDO interaction with uniquify.el
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:56:50 +0200

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:27, Leo <address@hidden> wrote:

> I confirm the original bug report. I propose here a different fix for
> both ido and iswitch. It is much simpler and more efficient.

On the minus side, your patch:

  - is less generic; Óscar's will work for other packages that do
dynamic renaming of buffers (yes, there are none on the Emacs
distribution, but there's a lot of elisp code out there).
  - makes ido depend on a feature of uniquify, which it didn't before.

> (buffer-list) can be a large list given the new feature virtual buffers
> in both iswitch and ido modes.

Has that been a problem for you? It should only be if you have a
really long list of buffers *and* use ido-kill-buffer a lot on the
same ido-switch-buffer invocation...

IMHO the virtual buffers feature is still a bit unfinished. For
example, it doesn't support multiple "virtual buffers" for files with
the same name on different directories. There was talk of using
uniquify to fix that, but again, my feeling is that tying ido to
uniquify is unwise; the virtual buffers implementation (on ido) should
fix its own problems in a more generic way.

Just my 0,02€

    Juanma