Re: Window configurations

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 14:19:33 -0400

> problem.  In particular, I display eldoc output on a per-window basis in
> a one-line window below the code window (I hate eldoc output in the echo
> area, I don't like it in the header line, and I very much hate tooltips.
> Ideally, there would be a bottom-line right above the mode-line where I
> could put it, but ...).

Interesting problem in itself, indeed.  Luckily, I'm satisfied with the
each area for that purpose.  Good luck!

> Now I'm killing such an eldoc-buffer as soon as it is no more shown in
> its eldoc-window.  But when (1) a `save-window-excursion' restores the
> saved configuration and (2) it has to restore a former eldoc-window that
> was deleted within the body of `save-window-excursion', I get the first
> buffer from `buffer-list' shown in that window which is downright silly.

I know you think dedicated windows suck and that I like them so much
that "when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail", but I think
this is really a good case to mark the window dedicated.  I'm not sure
whether set-window-configuration would do the right thing currently
(kill the window if the buffer died), but if it doesn't, it'd be
a clear bug that needs fixing.

        Stefan