Re: Window configurations

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 10:21:43 +0200

> 2. Delete the buffer's window after restoring the saved window configuration.
>
>    Do you see any problem with doing this in `set-window-configuration'
>    instead of `window-configuration-change-hook'?

Since window configurations store coordinates it would have to be done
just before the place where `window-configuration-change-hook' is called
in `set-window-configuration'.  So the effect would be roughly the same.
It's not perfect since the windows showing deleted buffers might take up
the entire frame.

> 3. Delete the buffer's window in the saved window configuration
>    before restoring it.
>
>    This looks good if it won't break other windows in the same
>    window configuration.

Hardly doable.  Note that we might also have to delete internal windows,
adjust coordinates or fractions ...

> 4. Display some warning message in a temporary buffer in the
>    restored window.
>
>    This is good too.  It keeps the original window configuration unchanged,
>    and provides information about the deleted buffers.

Suitable for user created windows.  Not suitable for windows created
automatically.

What I really want is some sort of function `set-window-configuration'
could call whenever it encounters a window with a dead buffer.  As a
fallback it then would try your (2) first and (4) if the window can't be
deleted.

martin