Re: Window configurations

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 21:09:50 -0600

martin rudalics wrote:
 > The point of set-window-configuration-from-sexp is to restore the
> configuration of windows, not to duplicate the functionality of desktop.el.

That's true from a theoretical point of view.  It separates concerns in
a clear way and gives clean semantics.  Hence I fully agree with you.

Unfortunately, in personal practice, I'm suffering from a quite similar
problem.  In particular, I display eldoc output on a per-window basis in
a one-line window below the code window (I hate eldoc output in the echo
area, I don't like it in the header line, and I very much hate tooltips.
Ideally, there would be a bottom-line right above the mode-line where I
could put it, but ...).

Have you tried displaying a tooltip in that position, by let-binding
tooltip-frame-parameters around the call to tooltip-show?

,----[ C-h f tooltip-show RET ]

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers