Re: Window configurations

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 17:01:47 +0200

>> We could add something like that eventually.  However, I suppose that
>> most people would like to see the tooltip frame at the right of `point'
>> in some otherwise blank space of the screen.
>
> Does not this very much depend on the purpose of the tooltip?

Maybe.  But displaying the tooltip frame right above the modeline is
just my personal preference.  I doubt many people will like it.

>> Also, tooltips currently have quite a number of annoying features which
>> must be corrected first.
>
> Maybe a topmost frame is not the best frame style. I
> suppose "transient-for" (on w32 "owned") is better.

Maybe.  But first of all, the mode-line updating in `delete-frame' has
to be made conditional on non-tooltip frames since currently this
interacts very badly with timers.  (There's also a splendid sillyness in
delete_frame, apparently introduced by yours truly, which allows running
hooks when they shouldn't.)  But so far I don't understand why we have
to always delete tooltip frames in the first place.  Also, tooltip
frames should be either moved or made invisible whenever frames are
resized - the current behavior is intolerable in this regard.  Finally,
the `tooltip-show' interface should be improved to allow, for example,
merging with other faces.  BTW, is there any way to make tooltip frames
transparent?

martin