Re: Window configurations

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Window configurations
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 01:48:34 +0300

> One complication is that window configurations would
> have to store the buffer stack and all buffer references.

Yes, window configurations have to store the buffer stack.
Like frame configurations store the buffer list,
there is no problem with that.

> What's more problematic, however, is that it's not clear whether each
> and every occurrence of `set-window-buffer' should add its buffer to
> the stack.  Currently, I put a buffer there only when `display-buffer'
> displays it.

`set-window-buffer' could add its buffer to the stack only when
it is different than a buffer on the top of the stack.  A problem
may occur when `set-window-buffer' is used to set a buffer
temporarily.  Perhaps `set-window-buffer' should have a new argument
(e.g. NO-RECORD) to not change the stack in this case.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/