Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:05:48 +0300

> Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 13:45:41 +0300
> From: Yair F <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> In the example above how can the ring component can be directly edited
> without editing the circumflex?
>
> A base character composed with 3 marks is not that infrequent.

Well, at least in Hebrew, everyday's written language almost never
uses marks at all, so I think 3 marks would be limited to Biblical
Hebrew or maybe poetry (and I'd be thrilled to know that
Hebrew-writing poets start using Emacs for their craft ;-).

If worse comes to worst, you can always disable auto-composition-mode,
edit the text, then re-enable it.

In the long run, it would be nice to have specialized commands for
moving inside composed characters, but I suspect that making it happen
would need non-trivial changes to the display engine.  Volunteers are
welcome to code that, but I personally have much more important things
on my plate for the foreseeable future.