Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 11:14:52 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Yair F <address@hidden> writes:
> Now most simple compositions (niqqud only) works.

> I stll see these issues:
> 1. Letter Shin (U+5E9) is not composed. It is followed by Shin-dot
> (U+5C2) which breaks the composition.

In my environment, the sequence U+5E9 U+5C2 is surely
composed.  Please show me the output of this command.

% MDEBUG_FLT=3 emacs --eval '(message "\u05E9\u05C2")'

Mine is this;

 [FLT] (hebr-ff (dejavu sans)
 [FLT]   (SOURCE 05E9 05C2)
 [FLT]   (STAGE 0 "Hh" (05E9 05C2)
 [FLT]     (SUBPART 0
 [FLT]      (COND
 [FLT]       (REGEX "^Hhh*" "Hh" 2
 [FLT]        <0
 [FLT]        :otf=hebr=ccmp+mark 2>))))
 [FLT]   (RESULT (1299 1216 0 0)))

> 2. Letter Lamed (U+5DC) Followed by Holam (U+5B9) The point is
> composed to the right of the letter instead of left.

It seems that "dejavu sans" font doesn't have 'ccmp' nor
'mark' feature applicable to that sequence.  It is possible
to detect such a case and adjust glyph-string by Lisp code.
I'll try to implement that kind of code.

> 3. Letter Yod (U+5D9) composed with Hiriq (U+5B4) is composed into
> presentation form (U+FB1D). This should only happen with specific
> control (Either CGJ or ZWJ I'll check).

I tried to show that sequence with gedit and and firefox.
Both show it with U+FB1D.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden