Re: Emacs 23, so slow to refresh on Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, so slow to refresh on Windows
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:14:53 +0200

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 15:19,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> To illustrate the slow down, I built an 8MB file containing a single line.

Emacs is not optimized for ultra-long lines. Do you find it also slow
editing more normal-looking files?

> The replies he received seem to indicate that the performance problem was
> well known (and related to the new font backend I guess), though it's not
> very clear whether or not someone was working on addressing it.

Could you try

  emacs -q -xrm Emacs.FontBackend:gdi

and see whether it makes a difference?

> So, is there hope to see improvements in the future ?

For a while, during the development of 23.1, the new font backend was
really slow on Windows, but currently it is not so (or, at least, we
don't receive many complaints about its speed); though it's true that
it is slower than 22.X; it's the price to pay for much better font
support.

If you find it unbearably slow I'd suggest filing a bug in the Emacs
bug tracker, giving as much relevant information as possible (for
example, fonts used, etc.).

    Juanma