save-window-excursion and window-configuration-change-hook interaction

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: save-window-excursion and window-configuration-change-hook interaction
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:55:53 -0500

I'm wondering if the following behavior is expected.

Suppose I have two windows; say the top window is active
and the bottom window (window WIN, buffer BUF) has
===
===
in it, with point before the "a".
If I run the command aaa:

(defun aaa ()
  (interactive)
  (with-current-buffer BUF
    (save-window-excursion
      (select-window WIN)
      (search-forward "b"))
    (set-window-point WIN (point))))

then the point in the bottom window moves to after the "b", which is
what I would expect.   However, if the bottom window (with point again
before the "a") has a non-nil window-configuration-change-hook,
then running aaa does not move the point in the bottom window.  I would
expected the point in the bottom window to move as before.
(To add the hook, with the bottom window active I did
 M-: (add-hook 'window-configuration-change-hook (lambda () ()) nil t)
)

Thanks,
Jay