Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs

From: covici
Subject: Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:28:00 -0400

Adrian Robert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Wang Ling <an00na <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Is it possible and advantageous to use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs?
> > I'm just wondering whether it is a practical and meaningful thing to do for
> Mac Emacsers.
>
> Hi,
>
> Overall it's probably a wash at the present time.  Using it would not result
> in
> any immediate user-visible changes by itself and might make supporting Tiger
> difficult.  (The framework is there on Tiger, but it's private, and I'm not
> sure
> how mature compared to the CG APIs.)  But on the other hand, it exposes a bit
> more of the guts of the Text system than earlier APIs, which should make
> support
> of advanced font backend features easier.  The cost here would be forking this
> code to keep GNUstep supported.  (Right now CG (vs. DPS on GNUstep) is only
> used
> at the very lowest level for emacs rendering, so the split code is small.)

What about accessibility -- which of these would work better with
Voiceover?

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         address@hidden

--o4II8k30016520.1274206129/ccs.covici.com--

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         address@hidden

--o4IK7xbm017906.1274213279/ccs.covici.com--

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         address@hidden