Re: Watchpoints for emacs lisp.

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Watchpoints for emacs lisp.
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 00:30:47 -0400

On May 18, 2010, at 04:22, Adrian Robert wrote:
> Chad Brown <chadpbrown <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> How much history?  These are the last few lines of `bzr log':
>>
>>      revno: 1
>>      committer: Jim Blandy <jimb <at> redhat.com>
>>      timestamp: Thu 1985-04-18 00:48:29 +0000
>>      message:
>>        entered into RCS
>
> Hmm, interesting, I didn't realize Redhat was around in 1985!
>
> (In other words, why is revision of the logs taking place and can it be
> stopped?)

I assume it's probably something like mapping the FSF account "jimb"
consistently to the most recent email id he's using in the logs as of the
(re-)conversion date, since the CVS logs don't have the email info.  There are
ChangeLog files which have email addresses, but since they're not a standard
part of every software project, and they're not always updated as part of the
same CVS commit (and certainly weren't updated in the same instant with RCS),
it wouldn't surprise me if the conversion tool didn't try to use them for
figuring out email addresses.  And really, it would be much more of a manual
process, since the email address and FSF account name don't necessarily have
some obvious and easy-to-program correspondence.

Even if someone did go back and rewrite the old commits with the old email
addresses people were using at the time, I don't know about bzr, but git would
see it as a completely rewritten history, resulting in new commit ids, etc.
I've wasted enough time dealing with VCS issues with Emacs, and still haven't
quite untangled from the bzr switch; personally I'd rather this just not get
"fixed".

Ken