Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs

From: covici
Subject: Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 02:26:48 -0400

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> wrote:

> > If you have Voiceover on and run the emacs app, you don't get any
> > speech at all, as far as I know.
>
> At least, "Speak selected text when the key is pressed", which can be
> customized in the Speech pane in the System Preferences, seems to work
> for the NS port (and the Mac port will support it in the next
> release).  Actually, any application will work if it can copy the
> selected text to the clipboard with "Command-C".  So, you didn't mean
> it, right?
>
> > More information is available at
> > http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover .
>
> Again, concrete procedure and expected behavior in detail please!!
>
> I think many developers are not so familiar with how accessibility
> features would be supposed to work if Emacs supported it.

Its hard to give exact procedures, this is why I referred you to those
pages, there is a developer resource there which will tell you what you
need to do to have emacs, or any other application be accessible,
according to Apple's definition.  As an example, the cursor keys would
cause the character under the cursor to be spoken, all buttons,
etc. would b e labelled so when the VO cursor was over them the label
would be spoken, etc. etc.

Menus would also speak and I guess appropriate changes in the echo area
as well.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici