Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 09:56:48 +0900

>> I'm asking it because I don't know how to confirm whether or not
>> "accessibility" or "Voiceover" gets supported when I add some code
>> with respect to this area.

> In System Preferences, open Universal Access.  VoiceOver can be
> activated from there, or via the key combo Command-Fn-F5.  You can
> also go into the VoiceOver Utility from there.

So far, so concrete.  But suddenly it became far from concrete below.
Could you describe concrete operations together with expected and
actual behavior as in good bug reports?

> I can verify that Emacs doesn't work with VoiceOver, in that
> VoiceOver can only identify the application name, title, tool-bar,
> and scrollbar.  The Universal Access tool-bar access works partially
> with the emacs tool-bar -- it can identify the buttons, but not the
> labels.  It cannot identify buffer text or functional elements
> inside emacs like customize buttons or modelines.

What do you mean by "identify"?  With what concrete operation one can
check if they are "identified"?

I tried "halfway implemented" experimental accessibility support code
(not in the released one) on top of the Mac port I mentioned in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-05/msg00226.html

If I activate VoiceOver from the System Preferences as described above
and click the Emacs frame, then the whole content area (i.e., other
than the title bar and the tool bar, but including scroll bars) of the
frame gets bordered in black, and the application name ("Emacs"), the
title bar name, and the buffer text get spoken in this order.  But the
cursor keys do not cause the character under the cursor to be spoken.

If this is heading to the right direction, then Core Text vs. NS Text
system, both of which are used in the Mac port, has basically nothing
to do with accessibility.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden