Re: save-window-excursion and window-configuration-change-hook interacti

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: save-window-excursion and window-configuration-change-hook interaction
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 11:44:39 +0200

> I assure you, right now I like it less than you do.

It's next to impossible to get this right.  If we don't move `point' to
the window's point we get non-standard semantics for the code run in the
hook.  That is, we'd violate a basic invariant that with a window
selected and its buffer current, the window's point and the buffer's
point refer to the same position.

If we do move `point' we have two choices: If we restore `point' to its
previous value (using some sort of `save-excursion'), any `point'
changing operations run in the hook are lost and any calculations based
on `point' run in the hook are moot.  If we don't restore `point' to its
previous value we get the current behavior.

martin