Re: Hl-line and visual-line

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hl-line and visual-line
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 11:17:08 +0300

> From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 08:34:28 +0200
>
> On Friday 21 May 2010 04:35:44 David Reitter wrote:
>
> > On another note, I first thought of just implementing hl-line in the
> > redisplay code, or perhaps as an option to the cursor display.  When
> > the cursor is drawn, we just highlight the line.  No moving around
> > overlays in Lisp...
>
> At a first glance, that would be cool.  I like hl-line-mode, but I have
> to disable it in some modes, because the hl-line-overlay's face
> overrides the normal font-lock face

Fixing that would mean introducing some feature that will allow you to
request that an overlay's priority is below text properties.  That
sounds like a simpler change (we have negative priority values vacant
for that, I think) than pushing line highlight to the level of the
basic redisplay.  The latter would have significant effect on the
structure of the display code, just like region highlight does.  And
the display engine code is already too complex, to the degree that is
almost unmaintainable.