Re: Hl-line and visual-line

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Hl-line and visual-line
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 10:22:22 -0400

On May 21, 2010, at 4:17 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Fixing that would mean introducing some feature that will allow you to
> request that an overlay's priority is below text properties.  That
> sounds like a simpler change (we have negative priority values vacant
> for that, I think) than pushing line highlight to the level of the
> basic redisplay.  The latter would have significant effect on the
> structure of the display code, just like region highlight does.  And
> the display engine code is already too complex, to the degree that is
> almost unmaintainable.

Well, for that reason my thinking was along the lines of reducing line
highlight functionality to changing the background color only, or something
like that, but perhaps some users might prefer a larger or bold font (e.g. when
you can't see well).

So yes, let's either fix beginning/end-of-visual-line, or provide a function
that does the right thing, and base hl-line on that (in visual-line-mode).