Re: Column numbering in bidirectional display

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Column numbering in bidirectional display
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 20:34:16 -0400

[...snip...]
> So on balance, I think we should keep the current semantics of the
> line numbering, whereby columns are numbered in strict logical order.

It does sound "too sweet to be true", but if you say it's so, I'm all
too happy to believe you.

I do think we'll need to provide better "visual movement" commands, but
these should really focus on being commands, like the current
line-move stuff.

It does point to a relevant detail: we had intended to (and someone
started working on) using the display iterator to (re)implement
current-column so as to take things like proportional fonts (and
variable font sizes) into account and return pixel-precise info in the
form of floating-point column numbers.  In light of your message, it
seems that maybe this kind of functionality should not replace the
current code.

        Stefan